As you might gather from the name, Edgwater is a lakefront community and destination for beaches and outdoor recreation in the summer. This northside neighborhood is also known for independent boutique shopping, unique restaurants, historic districts, and a multicultural tight-knit community.
Where to Eat
- Dak 1104 W Granville Ave – Some of the best Korean style wings in the city. This family-owned counter service spot makes their wings fresh and come soaked in the most delicious soy-garlic marinade your tastebuds will ever touch. Prepare yourself, these crispy wings are giant in size and pack a punch of flavor.
- Ras Dashen Ethiopian Restaurant 5846 N Broadway St – Edgewater has multiple outstanding authentic Ethiopian restaurants, but our pick is Ras Dashen for their extensive menu that satisfies both carnivores and vegetarians alike. The friendly staff are more than happy to walk you through how to order if you’re a newcomer to the cuisine or need recommendations. A must-visit place for rich and intoxicating flavors.
- Mango Pickle 5842 N Broadway St – Not your traditional Indian fare, this spot offers unique forward-thinking dishes that inspire the pallet. Refreshing craft cocktails pair well the ever-evolving menu. Mushroom dosas and and a smoky negroni? We’re down.
- Sauce and Bread Kitchen 6338 N Clark St – It’s all in the name, they’re well known for their freshly baked breads from Crumb Chicago and house-made sauces from Co-op Sauce. Breakfast lovers will appreciate the high quality ingredients that are sourced locally. Yummy items on the menu to try include house cured lox sammies and pillowy focaccia with sunnyside eggs. Ask about their pizza nights!
- Pearl’s Southern Comfort 5352 N Broadway – Cajun-Creole comfort food paired with cocktails and beer, what’s not to like? Great spot to grab weekend brunch, breakfast poutine anyone?
Where to Drink
- Income Tax 5959 N Broadway – Wine enthusiasts will appreciate the eurocentric wine list and patrons rave about their strong craft cocktails. Pro tip: If you want to try a wine that’s not offered by the glass they will let you buy half a bottle.
- Moody’s Pub 5910 N Broadway St – Oldschool neighborhood bar with an expansive patio to enjoy in the warmer months. Their offerings have stayed consistent since they opened in 1959, reliable burgers and beer. Not the place to take pretentious friends.
- Double Bubble 6036 N Broadway St – Your friendly local dive with even friendlier prices. The perfect spot to gather with friends and play darts or watch the game (a rare northside Sox bar). Cash only establishment.
- Farm Bar 1133 W Granville Ave – Local, responsible, and sustainable. Some of the most delicious cocktails in the neighborhood, brunch cocktails included. If you’re looking for a drink paired with some scrumptious fresh food, this is a must-try.
- Metropolis Coffee Company 1039 W Granville Ave – What began as father and son coffee roasting operation, Metropolis now operates an 18,000-square-foot roasterie in Avondale where they produce high quality beans for businesses all over North America. While their business has boomed over the last couple decades they still own and operate their humble cafe where patrons enjoy amazing coffee, kind staff, and fresh pastries.
- Chicago Grind 5256 N Broadway St – Cozy coffeehouse that offers delicious breakfast/lunch fare like turkey paninis and egg sandwiches to get you through your work. If you have a sweet tooth we recommend giving the s’mores latte a try :)
- Zanzibar Cafe 1036 W Bryn Mawr Ave – Coffee and ice cream? This cafe really has it all, drinks, sandwiches, and 22 flavors of ice cream. Located only a few blocks from the beach, Zanzibar is the perfect stop either to or from a day in the sun.
- pHlour Bakery & Cafe 1138 W Bryn Mawr Ave – If locally made bread is your jam then pHlour is the spot for you. Their homemade breads and pastries are outstanding. Whether you’re stopping by to grab a loaf of caraway rye or staying to enjoy a croissant and coffee, pHlour delivers its promise.
- Edge of Sweetness Bakery and Cafe 6034 N Broadway – Grab your favorite cup of Big Shoulders Coffee here, one of the best local roasts! The real showstopper here are the scrumptious freshly baked sweets! Satisfy your cravings here when you’ve been daydreaming of Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie, Butter Cake Bars, and Cinnamon Rolls.
Things To Do in Edgewater
Foster Beach W Foster Ave – The northside of Chicago is known some of the best tranquil beaching in the city and Foster beach does not disappoint. Get a group of friends together for a game of volleyball in the sand or grill up a meal by the grassy picnic benches.
- Osterman Beach 4600 N Lake Shore Dr – Named after a beloved alderman who lobbied for human rights and equality, Kathy Osterman Beach is another beautiful beach where you’ll find all the sun-worshippers in the summertime.
- Raven Theatre 6157 N Clark St – This historic theatre has been servicing the northside for decade, performing both revivals and debuting new works. As an intimate venue with high quality production, they’ve made regulars out of countless theatre-loving Chicagoans.
- Broadway Armory Park 5917 N Broadway St – This expansive complex houses Chicago’s largest indoor recreational facility. Once used by the National Guard for military purposes, Armory Park is now a meca for all types of activities: intramural sports teams, gymnastics, and community events.
Shops in Edgewater
- Independent Spirits, Inc 5947 N Broadway St – You can tell when staff are passionate about the product, because it bleeds into every part of the business. Product selection and customer service are excellent for both the wine beginner and cocktail expert. Stop by for one of their weekly tastings.
- Chicagoland Games: Dice Dojo 5550 N Broadway St – An extensive collection of over 1,000 games and open area to play your new selection. If your looking for a tight-knit and welcoming gaming community this is the place to go. They have dozens of organizations that are always looking for new members and tons of inclusive community events.
- Lickity Split 6056 N Broadway St – Your one stop shop for frozen custard, retro candy, and even special treats for your pup. Is there a better way to support your local business than indulging in a sweet treat? I don’t think so. If you’re feeling nostalgic pick up a candy bracelet with your custard.
- Broadway Antique Market 6130 N Broadway St – You’ll find all sorts of midcentury gems in this Edgewater storefront. They have an outstanding collection of furniture, home decor, jewelry, vinyl, clothing, and everything in between. Fun fact: Aidy Bryant was browsing here when she got the call to audition for SNL.
- Audio Archaeology 1324 W Devon Ave – An audiophile’s paradise.They specialize in vintage stereo equipment and will work with you to find exactly what you’re looking for. Browse through a curated selection of new and vintage records. Also, any store with a resident cat is worth a visit, this one’s name is Detective Mittens.
Keep it Fresh with Dry Cleaners in Edgewater
Friendly neighborhood dry cleaners with loyal clientele.
- Smile Cleaners 1132 W Thorndale Ave
- Newstyle Men’s Wear & Cleaners 5546 N Broadway St
- Lakeshore Cleaners 1035 W Granville Ave
Working Out & Wellness
- Be Yoga Andersonville 5715 N Clark St – Hot yoga for every yogi on the experience spectrum. Their practicers rave about the level of care and instruction all of the teacher’s have for their students. Expect to be welcomed with open arms to this studio.
- BEZZ Training Club 6033 N Sheridan Rd – A smaller studio that offers personalized training programs that big box gyms can’t offer. Patrons of Bezz commend the trainers and staff for their level of dedication to every client, helping them realize their fitness and health goals. The culture is friendly, supportive, and non-judgemental. Free member parking is a plus!
- Broadway Armory 5917 N Broadway St – A historic park district fitness and community center offering both gym membership and intramural leagues in countless types of sports.
Co-Working in Edgewater
- Colvin House: Creative Coworking 5940 N Sheridan Rd – If working out of a historical mansion sounds appealing, then this might be the coworking space for you. There are plenty of spaces to work with nice perks like copying, printing, coffee, and snacks. Members can also rent this beautiful space for hosting events.
- The Writers WorkSpace 5443 N Broadway St – Provides a comfortable and inspiring environment for writers of all genres. Members appreciate the calm and quiet environment, perfect for concentrating on a new piece of writing.
Traditional grocery and specialty shops accessible by car or public transit.
- Whole Foods 6009 N Broadway St – Eco-minded groceries with a great selection of organic produce and natural products
- Mariano’s 5201 N Sheridan Rd – Your one-stop-shop for grocery and house goods
- Edgewater Produce 5515 N Clark St – Neighborhood shop with fresh produce, great prices, and friendly staff
- Edgewater Farmers Market 5917 N Broadway St – Every Saturday from 8am-1pm June to October the Edgewater Chamber of Commerce hosts a lively farmer’s market with produce vendors, food trucks, and other local businesses.
You won't have to search far and wide to find top-notch healthcare for your furry companions.
- Broadway Animal Hospital 6320 N Broadway St
World-class medical care is never far away.
- Loyola University 1032 W. Sheridan Rd – Just north of Edgewater is Loyola University, a private university with over 16,000 students.